- Applicants must be female high school seniors in the Houston area (within a 55 mile radius of Downtown Houston).
- Applicants must plan to attend a Texas college or university - if an applicant changes her mind and attends an out of state school, all scholarship money will be rescinded.
- Applicants must be available for an in-person interview in Houston on May 13th.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens, or documented permanent residents of the U.S.
- Applicants must not already have full scholarships or grants for tuition.
Completing the Application
- The online application and all supporting materials are due on March 15th at noon CST.
- You must upload your 1-page Resume, high school transcript and your SAT/ACT score report/screenshot in PDF format.
- If you are selected as a finalist, we will require an official copy of your transcript prior to your interview
There are 3 essay questions. Please choose 1 question and keep your response around 500 words. We recommend thinking about your essay, writing it in Word and then when you are ready, copy/paste into the application.
1: What is something about which you have changed your mind in the last 3 years?
2: French novelist Anatole France wrote: “An education isn’t how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It’s being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don’t.” What don’t you know?
3: Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.
Scholarship Recipient Agreement
SPWP will notify finalists of their scholarships via phone and email within 2 days of Interview Day. The scholarship is contingent upon the following items:
- Recipients must email their College ID Number, Social Security Number and College Email Address to email@example.com within 3 weeks of award confirmation so that a tuition check can be sent to the recipient's university.
- The recipients are expected to attend the July 13th Scholarship Breakfast in their honor and make a short speech (less than 5 minutes) about what receiving the scholarship means to them. If a recipient is out of town for the July meeting, they will be excused but must email their speech prior to the breakfast and attend at least one other SPWP event during the year.
- Recipients must provide the Scholarship Committee an update on their academic progress at the end of the semester after receiving the scholarship as well as a transcript to verify enrollment.
Scholarship money will be rescinded if the recipient does not adhere to this agreement.